Pacific Guardian Center (PCG), the largest office complex in Hawaii, is planning to modernize its diverse elevator systems. Lerch Bates has been awarded a two-year contract to consult on the project which includes a 10-story 786-stall parking structure, twin 30-story office towers and the celebrated four-story Dillingham Transportation Building.
PGC is an award winning office complex that features more than 630,000 square feet of first-class office and retail space located in the heart of Honolulu’s Central Business District. The mirrored glass towers, named after their respective positions, Mauka (“mountain”) and Makai (“ocean”), are juxtaposed by the Mediterranean Revival/Italian Renaissance style of the the historic Dillingham Transportation Building.
The vertical transportation modernization program was designed to meet the expected future demands of the center while maintaining the rich character and environment of the property. The project is expected to begin this fall and be completed in the fall of 2016.
The modernization will include replacing Westinghouse Mark V equipment in the two seven-car banks and installing destination based technology. Destination based elevators, or destination dispatch systems, are changing how elevator systems are built and modernized and are quickly becoming the industry standard when upgrading the systems in buildings with three or more elevators. Every passenger enters his or her destination floor on entry terminals located in a lobby or in a hallway adjacent to the elevator shafts and the system groups passengers together depending on their desired destinations. The optimization process results in riders who are travelling to the same floors being grouped together.
Dillingham Transportation Building was constructed in 1929 for Walter F. Dillingham, founder of the Hawaiian Dredging Company (later Dillingham Construction). The building was designed architect Lincoln Rogers of Los Angeles and is significant for its associations with the commercial development of Honolulu and the Dillingham family empire of businesses. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.